The increase in inflation might’ve got you seeking ways to supplement your income while maintaining your day job or studies. To get extra money these days, it appears like everyone is working a second job, renting out their stuff, or selling unwanted items. But what are the other ways to make extra money?
You may be having a hard time finding ways to earn extra money, but don’t worry; here are ways to make extra money to get started. You may use your expertise and hobbies to earn extra cash from home, online, or on the side. These extra funds will undoubtedly come in handy, whether to pay off debt, save for an emergency fund, or simply have a little more money in your pocket.
Continue reading to learn more about ways to make extra money.
How To Make Extra Money Online
1. Find Freelance Jobs Online
Freelancing is a great way to make extra money and should be at the top of any list of simple side hustle ideas. Freelancers operate on a project-by-project basis for one or more clients, which you may arrange in your spare time. Graphic designers, writers, editors, and website developers are in high demand as freelancers, and other fields provide similar opportunities.
You can find freelance work at sites like Upwork, Fiverr, and Freelancer.com. These websites provide opportunities to work as a freelancer in a range of fields. Keep track of the standard rate for the type of work you offer, no matter what kind of freelancing you do so you are aware of what to charge. You may also use email and social media accounts to promote your freelancing skills to your own network for free.
Pro tip: Join Facebook groups with individuals in the same field and connect with them. Once you’ve established your connection and have proved your skills, they may outsource or recommend you to their clients!
- To offer work on Upwork and Fivver, users must be at least 18 years old. Freelancer.com needs users to be at least 16 years old.
- Some websites need you to be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States.
- For payments, you must have a bank account of your choice. Most people use PayPal, however there are different payment methods you may pick or agree on depending on your client.
2. Become a User Experience Tester
Another way to earn extra money from home is to become a user tester. Every company hopes that their website delivers helpful information, satisfies their goals, and, of course, produces money. If something isn’t working, the company has to figure out why, and many depend on user experience testers to provide feedback. UserTesting and TryMyUI, for example, will pay you for your feedback.
You get compensated for providing feedback on how effectively — or how poorly — particular websites and applications operate. To get accepted, you must pass a brief exam, after which you will be paid according to the type of test. You’ll be offered $10 for each 20-minute test you finish!
- You must be at least 18 years old.
- A computer, an internet connection, and a microphone are required.
- Mobile app testers must also have an Android or iOS phone or tablet.
- Some websites may have language requirements.
3. Take Online Surveys
Take online surveys to earn money from home, however don’t expect to make a lot. Still, this side hustle is a great way to earn extra money in your spare time.
Many marketing research companies are willing to pay for your feedback on various goods, systems, and topics. Legitimate survey groups include User Interviews, Survey Junkie, Swagbucks, and Dscout. Most survey companies need you to register an online account and link a PayPal, Venmo, or CashApp account to get money. Then, using an app or an online dashboard, you may search for and sign up for surveys that interest you. If you are selected, you will finish the questionnaire or the project and will normally be paid within a few days. Many surveys pay between $2 and $10 for a few minutes of your time, while others pay up to $100 for in-depth product reviews or surveys.
- Most survey sites have a minimum age limit that ranges from 13 to 18 (that is, depending on the site), making these sites an excellent option for students looking to make money online.
- Specific criteria may apply to individual surveys. So, be prepared to get rejected from a survey without much explanation.
4. Make Money From Blogging
Set up a blog focused on a particular field that interests you, such as travel, cuisine, beauty, or fashion, if you like writing and sharing knowledge with others. You may monetise your site with adverts or affiliate sales as you gain popularity and a reasonable amount of traffic. You can join an affiliate marketing network such as CJ Affiliate, ShareASale, FlexOffers, Rakuten Advertising, or Amazon Associates.
Advertisements pay you per view or click, whereas affiliate sales pay you to promote a product or service. If someone clicks on an affiliate link and makes a purchase, you will be paid a commission. This is how certain bloggers make a lot of money!
- A blog, social media account, or other online presence that consistently attracts visitors.
5. Become a Private Online Tutor
If you believe that being a tutor means you were at the top of your class in high school and college, think again. Tutoring is all about what you know and how well you know it. Become a tutor and turn your skills in math, science, foreign language, or test prep into a successful side hustle.
Tutors are in high demand, which offers up plenty of flexible side hustle opportunities for you. Market online to learning programs to parents looking for convenient sessions for their children, but keep adult students in mind as well.
Tutoring companies like Tutor.com, TutorMe, and Studypool hire teachers to share their knowledge with students on a wide range of disciplines. Just be cautious while choosing a tutoring position. Certain users of on-demand tutoring services just want someone to write their essay or do their assignment for them. So, be wise when browsing the job advertisements.
- You’ll require a strong background in a subject that others need help understanding, such as mathematics, a foreign language, or exam preparation.
- There may be educational requirements. Some tutors may be needed to be enrolled in a four-year institution or to have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year university.
6. Self-publish an Ebook
Self-publishing ebooks is another way for writers to earn additional money, but you don’t have to be a brilliant wordsmith to make money on this side hustle. If you can tell unique stories or explain how to do something, you can hire ghostwriters and editors to finish and polish your work.
When you publish a book for free, you may earn up to 70% of each sale in royalties. Write your book, write a detailed description and the details you want to see, and then submit your manuscript to Amazon’s Kindle Direct Publishing as well as other ebook platforms like Smashwords, Barnes & Noble Press, Lulu, and others. Set your price and watch the money roll in!
- To get started, you must first create a Kindle Direct Publishing account.
- Proper formatting is necessary. Amazon claims that most Microsoft Word documents convert quickly to e-books, but other formats are accepted as well.
7. Become an Influencer
Earn money by posting on social media! Yes, it turns out that social networking may be useful. Consider being an influencer if you have a huge following on social media sites such as Facebook and Instagram, or even if you run a blog.You might also consider TikTok! Influencers make money by providing a variety of content, including product reviews and recommendations, humorous videos, how-to tips and techniques, edgy opinions on society, and much more.
Whether it’s fashion, cookery, or travels, you may become the primary source for businesses looking to increase their online visibility. Simply contact businesses you admire and express your desire to collaborate! Also, if you’re interested in affiliate marketing and sponsored content, look into ShareASale and Amazon Associates. Turn your influence into money!
- A social media account with a committed and engaged following.
- In addition, you must fulfill the conditions of any affiliate network.
8. Earn From Your YouTube Channel
Convert your vlogs into cash! If your YouTube videos have a large following, you may be able to monetize them through advertising. YouTube side hustles are an excellent way to increase your income by sharing your knowledge, discussing current events, or giving entertainment.
YouTube is completely free to use, and you may earn with your videos if you have at least 1,000 subscribers and more than 4,000 video view hours each year. After that, YouTube Partners have access to monetization features, including a percentage of ad income. This may take some time to achieve, but with hard effort, you may earn thousands of dollars each month. Many hardworking side hustlers have converted their YouTube channel into an income-generating full-time job.
- You must have at least 1,000 subscribers and more than 4,000 video view hours each year.
9. Monetize Your Twitch Channel
If you have a stable following on Twitch, the go-to site for players, gaming might be an option to generate money from home. If a streamer achieves Affiliate or Partner status, they can accept donations from viewers and potentially split subscription and ad income! You may start streaming on Twitch in a day, but it will take weeks or even months to build a following. Your efforts will be rewarded once you see money rolling in!
- To become a Twitch Affiliate or Partner and get a cut of game sales, adverts, and subscription money, you must reach specified viewing and broadcast milestones.
10. Create Your Own Podcast
Another in-demand low- to no-cost side hustle idea that is simple to start and grow is podcasting. This is perfect for people who enjoy talking and sharing their own perspectives. Podcasts are pre-recorded audio files you record, edit, and submit to podcasting sites so listeners can listen to them whenever they choose. Ads, sponsored material, affiliate links in podcast descriptions, and paid subscriptions can all be used to monetize podcasts.
Bring in your favorite guests or go solo to discuss topics that are important to you. Start by deciding on a name, developing a website, and brainstorming your first ten episodes. If you don’t have any extra equipment, you may record and edit a podcast using audio recording apps built into your smartphone, tablet, or computer and then upload it to channels you create on platforms like iTunes, Anchor, Buzzsprout, and others. Some provide free options, but most offer premium-priced plans that enable revenues through paid listener subscriptions, downloads, and ad revenue splits.
- You must post a new episode once every week and maintain a social media presence.
- Maintain a minimum of 1,000 downloads every episode.
11. Sell Your Photography
Do you have a talent for photography? Side hustle your hobby and make passive revenue from your favorite photographs. To earn royalties, upload each photo to services such as iStockPhoto, Dreamstime, Shutterstock, and Getty Images. Each photo purchased might earn you between $0.25-0.45. If you publish images often, your online portfolio will develop, and you can earn more.
- The requirements vary depending on the platform you’re using, but you must have the necessary rights to the photographs you sell.
12. Become a Virtual Assistant
As online businesses expand, so do their demands for more assistance. One way to get money online is to offer your expertise. Uploading photographs to e-commerce sites, booking appointments, and making phone calls, client emails, travel reservations, and data input are some of the tasks. These occupations often pay $7-$40 per hour, based on your skill level. If you’re organized and tech-savvy, this side hustle is an excellent way to make extra money from home.
You’ll need a working computer and an internet connection, but those are the only costs required for this side hustle. TaskRabbit, ChatterBoss, and Upwork are examples of virtual assistant programs that may help you sell your skills and manage tasks and payments. Alternatively, Square may be used to manage bookings and payments.
- The requirements vary depending on your client, but you must always have your portfolio and resume on hand.
- Some require a minimum speed internet connection as well as laptop specifications.
13. Sell Unwanted Stuff Online
One of the most reliable ways to generate money at home is to sell unneeded stuff around the house. Dig through your bedroom closet, attic, and garage for anything you no longer need. What are you unable to live without? Of course, you can always sell stuff on trusted websites such as eBay and Craigslist.
However, consider applications like OfferUp, VarageSale, Poshmark, thredUP, and Facebook Marketplace, which make it even easier to generate extra money by selling used items. Start by making an account, then take pictures and list your sellables on the platform you want. And list each item at the best price for you!
- Photos and pricing for each item you intend to sell.
- You must own all of the rights to the products you sell.
14. Sell Digital Products
Do you have an artistic side? Another fantastic way to earn extra money is to create and sell digital products in your spare time. Digital artwork, logos, music, photography, video, and website design templates are in high demand.
You may profit by developing them digitally and selling them for a fee via download on your own website, Etsy account, and a variety of digital product markets. It only takes a few minutes to design and share your best items to make money while you sleep. Remember that you may need to pay for a website, an Etsy company account, and an illustrator membership in order to make the product.
- To sell your digital products, you must either develop your own website or register with the platform of your choice.
15. Become a Product Tester
Make extra money online by exploring product testing. New innovations are often subjected to several rounds of testing. These steps of testing guarantee that every defect is discovered before it reaches paying consumers. Several companies will pay you to test out their new items. Toluna, Nielsen, Vindale Research, and Pinecone Research are a few platforms that might assist you in finding things to test for additional cash.
- You must be at least 18 years old.
- Must have good written and verbal communication.
- You must pay close attention to detail.
16. Earn Cash Back From Apps
There are various smartphone apps available that may teach you how to make extra money by doing simple activities. We’re talking about something as basic as taking your phone and scanning your receipt! To earn additional money without doing too much work, look into smartphone apps like Ibotta, Rakuten, Shopkick, and Dosh. I’ve compiled a list of the best cashback apps, so if you want to learn more about them, check them out.
- There are no requirements for earning cashback. Simply buy or do easy tasks on your smartphone and earn cash back!
How To Make Extra Money Offline
17. Find a Babysitting Gig
Anyone, from college students to working individuals, may earn extra money by babysitting other people’s children. This side hustle is in high demand and an excellent option to earn extra money in your spare time or on a regular schedule.
Word-of-mouth recommendations from friends and family are still a fantastic way to get started, but you may also expand your reach by creating a free profile on Care.com or Sittercity.
While certification isn’t usually required, the American Red Cross provides online and in-person babysitting certification classes that include CPR, first aid, and behavior strategies. This can help you gain credibility and increase your appeal to potential employers.
- To list as a caregiver on Care.com or Sittercity, you must be at least 18 years old.
- A background check is required.
18. Sell Your Gently Worn Clothes
Selling clothes you no longer use is a quick way to get money fast.. Start by visiting neighborhood consignment stores to generate money quickly, or use online marketplaces such as ThredUp and Poshmark to find customers.
If you sell your products online, make sure to take clear, well-lit pictures of them along with researching similar products to determine competitive prices.
- Shoes, apparel, and accessories must be in good condition.
- Before accepting items, they will be subjected to a series of examinations. ThredUp, for example, inspects things for pilling, fading, shrinkage, missing parts (such as buttons), and stains.
19. Rent Out Your Car
If you have a car just sitting in your garage for a long time, you might want to try renting it out to make some extra money. With services like Turo, which allows you to hire out your car by the hour or day, you can turn that free time into additional cash.
You keep the majority of your profits, while Turo deducts a fee for securing your vehicle while it is being rented. You could earn an astounding $10,516 per year simply by renting out your vehicle!
And don’t worry: the company provides $750,000 in liability insurance and theft and damage coverage for your vehicle. So let your renter travel the open road while you sit back and count your money!
- You must own a car. Alternatively, if you lease your car, make sure the conditions of your lease and finance paperwork let you to share it.
- Your vehicle must fulfill set specifications (make/model/year/mileage) as well as meet maintenance and safety standards.
- A current, valid driver’s license is required.
- You must be at least 21 years old in order to use the site.
20. Drive for Uber or Lyft
Consider becoming an Uber or Lyft driver if you want to make extra cash yet have a flexible schedule. You choose your own schedule and may drive as much (or as little) as you like. You also have the added benefit of having engaging chats or, at the very least, some funny stories to tell about your travels with strangers.
Of course, the total amount of money you earn will depend on your location and how often with which you transport passengers. So, if you get a free weekend now and then, you could spend it as an adored taxi driver seeing your city while being paid for it.
- A four-door vehicle. Other conditions, such as the year, physical condition, and so on, must also be met.
- Before you start driving, inform your vehicle insurance carrier of your plans.
- A background check and an examination of your driving history
21. Sell Old Phones and Electronics
Every day, new technical gadgets arrive on the market. In that case, you’re probably sitting on an old phone, iPad, laptop, or gaming console in the corner of your room. So, why not sell it on an app like Swappa or Gazelle and get some extra money? Check Amazon’s trade-in program, which compensates members in Amazon gift cards — as well as eBay. If you’re in a hurry, an ecoATM kiosk may provide you with cash on the spot for your smartphone.
- An old phone, laptop, gaming system, and so on.
- For cell phones: You must confirm that the phone is not stolen or on a repayment plan.
22. Make Deliveries for Amazon, Uber Eats
Sign up for a service like Instacart, Uber Eats, Postmates, DoorDash, or Amazon Flex to take advantage of the expanding delivery trend. In most situations, you are compensated for each delivery and may even receive tips.
A car isn’t always necessary; Postmates and, in some places, DoorDash allows you to make deliveries by bike or scooter. A background check, on the other hand, is usually part of the arrangement. This is a great way to earn extra money while working at your own pace.
- You’ll need a method of delivering items. Depending on the service, it might be a car, scooter, or bike.
- Accepting and processing tasks requires the use of a smartphone.
- Each delivery service has a minimum age requirement, which varies depending on the service.
23. Do Tasks for People With TaskRabbit
If you’re looking for a way to make extra money on the side by doing minor fix-it chores or running errands, TaskRabbit could be your best choice. You may do everything from garden work to putting furniture together.
This is a great way to add to your income if you enjoy tinkering with things. The website also provides a variety of virtual and online tasks, such as assisting with a research project or data input.
- To start working with TaskRabbit, you must be at least 18 years old.
- A background check is also required of prospective Taskers.
24. Start Car Washing/Detailing.
If you’re a car enthusiast, this may be a perfect fit for you! And you most likely already have the necessary tools. You can hand out leaflets in your neighborhood or use social media to promote your services.
It’s amazing how many people will pay someone else to do something they don’t want to do. Mobile car washing and detailing has become an income-generating side hustle in higher-income neighborhoods. You may even take the business on the road and meet your customers wherever they are!
- Your own car wash and detailing tools
25. Be a Mystery Shopper
Businesses are often looking to know how to monitor sales and service quality, job performance, and regulatory compliance or to acquire specialized information about a market or rivals, including products and services. Work to be their eyes and ears as a mystery shopper! Mystery shopping can take the form of actual visits to company locations or phone calls to enterprises to assess their customer service.
Online applications are available through sites such as IntelliShop, BestMark, and Sinclair Customer Metrics. Just be careful of fraud and do enough research before signing up.
- The majority of mystery shopping services have an age restriction. To shop at BestMark, you must be at least 18 years old.
- You may require reliable transport and internet connectivity, depending on the service.
26. Rent Your Home
If you have an extra bedroom or can stay with your in-laws or friends on short notice, you might consider renting out your property on Airbnb. Consider renting out your upstairs spare bedroom and bathroom to two visitors.
However, what about the dangers of allowing strangers inside your home? Airbnb provides unintentional damage coverage for your home—up to a million dollars in coverage.
They also provide host protection insurance in the event that a guest is injured while staying in your home. So put all of your worries aside! You can also have additional advantages, like having food that your renters left untouched LOL!
- You must include quality pictures and a brief description of your property.
- You must provide identification.
- If you are renting, you have to get authorization from your landlord.
27. Become a House Sitter
Become a professional house sitter and keep an eye on homes for people who go on vacation or have a second home that they don’t spend much time in. House sitters help to look after someone’s home as well as feed the dogs, water the plants, and take out the trash.
Request referrals from your own contacts, or use HouseSitter.com, which connects homeowners with house sitters. You may make between $25 and $45 every day, according to the company’s website.
- Most websites have an age restriction.
Having only enough money for your daily necessities might be exhausting since you can’t enjoy other things or be prepared for an emergency since it’s already allotted for your daily needs. Having a side gig to make extra money is an excellent way to save for emergencies or to purchase something you really want.
Now that you know how to earn extra money, try any of these 27 ways to see if you can earn some extra bucks. With so many side hustle opportunities available, it’s best to research them all to see which matches your skills, objectives, and available time.
Remember to have fun while doing these side jobs, and don’t forget to rest!
This post was produced and syndicated by A Dime Saved.