Until recently, there were many preconceived notions of what types of jobs could be performed remotely. But since 2020, employers of all sizes and across all industries have transitioned millions of on-site jobs into remote-friendly ones.
After reviewing tens of thousands of remote and hybrid jobs, the FlexJobs research team has compiled a list of the 100 most surprising remote and hybrid jobs from the past year.
These professional-level positions are either active jobs postings or were active at some point during 2022 and allow employees to conduct their work at home either part of the time or full-time. The positions range from entry-level to senior-level and span across a wide range of industries.
“Even after the mass adoption of remote work during the pandemic, many people still underestimate the types of legitimate remote jobs available in today’s job marketplace,” said Sara Sutton, FlexJobs’ Founder, and CEO.
“But the variety of opportunities represented in this list reveals how rapidly remote jobs are growing and diversifying. The pandemic has encouraged companies to reconsider the types of jobs that can be done from home and reevaluate what positions are actually compatible with remote work,” Sutton adds.
FlexJobs’ 100 of the Most Surprising Remote and Hybrid Jobs, Past and Present, showcases the increasing range of jobs that are compatible with remote work, thanks largely to companies reconsidering the possibilities of how and when work can be performed. Some of these are active listings, and some are no longer available.
Thirty examples are listed below in no particular order, and all 100 surprising jobs can be found in this section of the FlexJobs database.
- Physician – TeleNeurology, Stroke
- Endangered Species Conservation Biologist
- Undercover Investigator
- High Intensity Fitness Instructor
- Celebrity Relations Manager
- Basketball Trader
- Footwear Design Specialist
- Senior Culinary Consultant
- Prop Styling Photographer
- Senior Historic Preservation Specialist
- Exercise Physiologist
- Veterinary Support Specialist
- Forest Campaigner
- Air and Noise Analyst
- Meme Master
- Cover Designer
- Director, Climate and Food
- Basketball Scout
- Lead Food Designer
- Voiceover Specialist
- Sound Designer
- Digital Painter
- Wildfire Resilience Planner, Forester
- Library Assistant
- Hero Care Specialist
- Home Designer
- Art Buyer
- Supervising Music Producer
- Gag Gift and Prank Product Developer
- Virtual Event Program Manager
According to FlexJobs’ Career Pulse 2022 Survey, 65 percent of people said they prefer to work from home full time, and nearly a third (32 percent) said hybrid is their ideal work arrangement.
Many respondents cited the far-reaching benefits of remote and hybrid jobs, such as cost savings and better work-life balance, among the top reasons why. In fact, the same survey found 45 percent of respondents estimate they save at least $5,000 a year by working remotely, with one in five estimating a cost savings of over $10,000 per year.
Additionally, 84 percent stated that having a remote or hybrid job makes or would make them a happier person in general, and 87 percent said a remote or hybrid job would or already has improved their work-life balance.
To help job seekers strengthen their chances of landing a coveted remote-friendly role, FlexJobs’ Career Coaching team emphasizes the importance of being impressionable throughout the application and interview process.
Especially for unique and surprising job openings like the above list, they recommend standing out from the competition by:
1. Customizing Resumes and Cover Letters – Tailor all application materials to the company and the role. Write a custom cover letter and resume that incorporates keywords from the job posting throughout your documents.
2. Adding Personality to Applications – Finding something unique and specific to say about the company and position––like why a candidate is excited to apply for the role––will help an application stand out from the crowd.
3. Creatively Solving Company Problems – Try to find out what challenges this specific company is facing and offer creative solutions. Taking this approach not only demonstrates that someone has the skills to do the job, but that they’re genuinely interested in the role, the company, and success in both.