8 Nights of Chanukah Doughnuts (Sufiganiyot)
Sufganiyot or doughnuts have become a Chanukah staple. While the classic is a jelly filled doughnut there are many different types of fillings you can put in.
In Israel, caramel filling is also a classic (yum!) and bakeries outdo themselves with creative and delicious fillings for their doughnuts.
If you live in Israel Chanukah is a great time to do a “doughnut crawl” and go to each bakery and try a doughnut. It will NOT be frugal or healthy but it will be delicious! Since the more creative and fancy the doughnut is, the more expensive it is we poor folk have to content ourselves with homemade doughnuts.
Without further ado….
8 Types of Chanukah Doughnuts
- Vanilla Cream Filled Doughnuts. https://www.browneyedbaker.com/vanilla-cream-filled-doughnuts/
- Cheesecake Stuffed Baked Doughnuts. https://www.handletheheat.com/cheesecake-stuffed-baked-doughnuts/
- Mexican Chocolate Filled Doughnuts. https://www.cakenknife.com/mexican-chocolate-filled-doughnuts/
- Whipped Cream-Filled Doughnuts. https://www.ricardocuisine.com/en/recipes/6034-whipped-cream-filled-doughnuts
- Peanut Butter Cream Filled Doughnuts. https://www.howsweeteats.com/2012/11/peanut-butter-cream-filled-donuts/
- Coffee Custard Filled Doughnuts. https://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/coffee-custard-filled-doughnuts
- Cinnamon Salted Caramel Doughnuts. https://www.janespatisserie.com/2019/01/05/cinnamon-salted-caramel-doughnuts/
- Pistachio Cream Filled Doughnuts. http://www.thelittleloaf.com/2017/02/22/pistachio-cream-filled-doughnuts/
And one more, sort of, for my Gluten Free friends. You can use this recipe for the dough and then add whatever filling you want!
- Gluten Free Sufganiyot. https://www.kosher.com/recipe/gluten-free-sufganiyot-4350
What about the classic Jelly ones?!?!
I usually make this recipe from Bon Appetit and then just fill them with Jelly. I like that they are not too big so you get a good jelly/doughnut ratio. There is no fun in having too much doughnut to jelly! The chocolate dipping sauce is delicious as well!
- Zeppole with Chocolate Sauce. https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/zeppole-with-chocolate-sauce
So I guess, the total is 10 Types of Doughnuts!
Which ones are you trying?
Of course, you can try these any day of the year- you don’t need to wait for Chanukah to indulge! I guess I can even call this evergreen content. After all, who doesn’t love a delicious doughnut any day of the year?
Chanukah, Channuka, Channukah, Hannukah, Hannuka, Hanuka…. No matter how you spell it you can celebrate! Check out all the things you can do this Chanukah here.