Dreidel is THE Chanukah game. This game goes back to the actual story of Chanukah and is filled with symbolism. No Chanukah is complete without at least one game of dreidel.
8 Ways to Play Dreidel:
- Classic Dreidel. We don’t use money for the classic Dreidel game. We like to use something else instead. We use either jelly beans, chocolate chips, marbles, even chocolate coins if you are fancy. Here are the rules of classic dreidel game: https://www.aish.com/h/c/f/How-to-Play-Dreidel.html
- Computer Game. This is perfect if you have someone who is addicted to the tablet or you need a break while frying latkes and doughnuts! This goes double if your kids are off of school. A perfect Chanukah-themed computer game! https://www.abcya.com/games/hanukkah_dreidel.
- Dress Up Dreidel. Every person has to pick 4 things that start with the 4 letters on the dreidel. Take all the items and put them in 4 separate baskets. Each time you land on a letter you have to pick an item from that bag and put it in. Game ends when everyone gets bored or there are no more items in the basket. You can also put a slight twist on this to make it last longer: set a timer and have everyone run around the house collecting the 4 items in a short amount of time. The less time you have to think about then the more random and, hopefully, funny, items you have to choose from!
- Poker Dreidel. Do you have teenagers? Then this is a great way to get them involved! The betting works like in poker (I suggest using fake money or jellybeans). Everyone gets their own Dreidel. The betting begins. The bets determine how much “money” is in the pot. Everyone spins at the same time.
Gimmel- you get the whole pot but you must split it with anyone else who gets gimmel.
Hey-you win ½ the pot but you must split it with all the other “hey” winners- you get nothing if someone else got a gimmel.
Nun- gets nothing, as always
Shin- has to put money into the pot.
- Action Dreidel. There is no winning in this game but a lot of hilarity! Each time you land on a letter you have to do an action that starts with that letter. No repeats!
- Drunken Dreidel. For Adults Only.
Everyone gets a shot of alcohol and a dreidel:
Gimmel-take a shot
Hay- a half a shot
Shin- pick someone else who has to take a shot
- Make it a Learning Opportunity. Koala Coach has a cute way to use dreidel as a learning game. If you don’t think that will go over well- you can make it more fun by creating questions that are family related or make a list of funny activities to go with this game! https://www.koalacoach.com/articles/dreidel
- 5 Ways to Play with Dreidels. Redtri has some cute ways to play with dreidels that isn’t the actual dreidel game. Here are 5 Creative ways to play with Dreidels.
Chanukah, Channuka, Channukah, Hannukah, Hannuka, Hanuka…. No matter how you spell it you can celebrate! Check out all the things you can do this Chanukah here.